Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Appreciate The Beauty Of Nature


I'm not a gardener, I had never done any gardening, unless you consider my 3rd grade science project on sprouting green beans as gardening. Born and raised in the expansive forest of skyscrapers, I never paid attention to any plants.  I just never cared.  My dad had some ugly flowerless plants and bonsai trees in our tiny balcony that he cared for every morning before he left for work.  But my siblings and I never took one glance at my father's solitary hobby. Our flat also had the annual Chinese New Year plants that came and went with the holidays.  My mom just tossed the plants into trash after they wilted and died in the total absence of care or watering. I still remember those pots of wilted yellow Chrysanthemums that my mom trashed every year.  I was never impressed by them when they were alive in our tiny living room.  I don't know why I had no appreciation for them back then.  Now that I no longer live with my parents, I suddenly felt a sense of nostalgia when I spotted the Chrysanthemums last week at a home improvement and supplies store.  Their beauty just struck me at that particular moment and I couldn't resist bringing a 6-inch pot home.  I don't even have the space to put flowers, so I just put the pot on a chair on top of my books.  The Chrysanthemums in the above photo is the first pot of Chrysanthemums I bought on my own.  I had never seen this variety before and I am totally mesmerized by their glorious flowers in bi-colors.  I can stare at them and feel really relaxed and pleased with my discovery.  It cost me $9.79 (including sales tax) , which is 4 times my spending on plants in 2016, and it's not even the end of February.  But this lovely plant is worth my every penny because I really enjoy staring at them when I feel stressed or when I start to lean towards negative thinking.

Reminder to myself: Learn more about the care for Chrysanthemums when feeling down or anxious, because it's better to direct energy and time on things that can give me joy and satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment